Friday, May 11, 2012

Metalsmithing Class, Part X

Last night was our next to last metalsmithing class at the 92nd Street Y. I can't believe how quickly the time has gone! I remember that when I first started this class in February, I was pretty anxious about using tools I'd never used before like a blow torch, jeweler's saw and drill. Now I feel like an old expert with them. Well, not quite, but I at least feel comfortable using them. I still haven't quite gotten the hang of soldering, but I think I'll get that with practice. My teacher noted that my bezel wasn't soldered 100 percent; there was still a small gap in the piece, so I attempted to solder that section. However, it just wasn't happening. The solder pieces kept moving or just weren't melting. Finally, the teacher had to help out and explained that I wasn't heating the entire piece as I was supposed to. She assisted me and I think we finally got this thing. My poor pendant was getting pretty burned, though. I mean, it went under the fire about five times. I didn't have time to thoroughly submerge it in the pickle solution (which cleans the metal) so it was still smoldering as I left the class and I could smell the burnt metal all the way home. Yuck. I'll submerge it first thing next week so it'll have time to be cleaned. Then I'll add the stone and hopefully, it'll be finished. I'd also planned to solder a jumpring but am not sure that I'll have the time. That's OK, because I can either do that in my more advanced class which begins on May 22 or just make a jumpring with a cold connection. Meantime, I've been working on a pair of funky copper abstract earrings in class. They're going to look really cool and I'm amazed by how skilled I've gotten at sawing and filing. They have an intricate design in the center which required me to saw out small, squiggly lines, but it wasn't so hard to do. I remember when I was first making my silver ring that it was SO hard for me to even saw a straight line. Next week we're supposed to do a "show and tell" of our projects. My last two probably won't be completely finished, but it seems like no one else's is either -- and that makes me feel a lot better. But I'm looking forward to making more things during the summer semester.
To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs. To read about my travel adventures, head to Naomi The Traveler.

No comments:

Post a Comment