Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Intermediate Metalsmithing, Part I

Today kicked off my next semester of jewelry making classes, and the first was Jewelry II, a.k.a. intermediate metalsmithing. The good news is, I already love this instructor. My last teacher wasn't evil or anything -- she knew her stuff and I learned a lot from her. She taught me well and I'm grateful to her for that. But she was kind of icy and tended to get impatient and was also very OCD about things. Everything had to be precise and perfect from our projects to the clean up at the end of class. She came right when it was time to start and had us leave right when class ended. I almost felt as if I were getting graded for her subject when it was supposed to be a FUN art class.

My new teacher, on the other hand is funny, warm and Earth mother-y. She always has a smile and jokes and laughs as she teaches us. And though she acknowledges that things need to be measured out and ends need to be even, she's not OBSESSED with precision. She wears a smudged apron and seems to get that art is sometimes going to be messy, especially when you're dealing with goopy substances. I have her for my enameling class, too, and just really enjoyed my six hours of classes with her.

I'm the least advanced person in this particular class. Many students take Jewelry II over and over again so they can do different projects and work with the same instructors. So there were a lot of really skilled jewelry designers there. But everyone was friendly and no one judged me, including the teacher. The bad news is, I still suck at soldering, but I didn't feel like an idiot when I asked for help. She didn't glare at me or talk in a harried tone. She smiled and helped me, and promised that I'd get it with practice.

Right now, we're working on creating a series of little stacked rings. I'm going to do a series of four or five using different types of metal. Today, I made two small copper rings in which I twisted the wire using a vise. My first attempt went a little awry because I didn't flatten out the wire enough before cranking the handle. However, my teacher simply shrugged and showed me how to correct my problem. She then laughed and joked, "Oh well, you'll just put your own *twist* on it." This is what I mean about her not being obsessed with precision.

My next attempt went well and I got a nice, tightly-twisted wire. It looks really cool. I tried to solder both and failed, but my teacher quickly determined what I was doing wrong and gave me a little lesson to help out. She didn't seem put out by this at all. Once I get my rings all made, I'm going to add bezel set stones to a couple to finish off the series.

This teacher is very big on making everything from scratch so I learned a lot just by watching the more advanced students work on their projects. One melted gold into a ball and then put it through the roller so she could have a gold disc. Another crafted handmade wire. Meanwhile, the teacher said that she'd show us how to make bezel wire from scratch. I love the idea of starting from the beginning. I already try to make all of my jumprings and ear wires, and this is taking it to the next level.

I'm still nervous about soldering; part of me fears that I'll never master this basic skill. I need to relax and not worry about it so much, and then maybe I'll finally get it. Who knows -- with this instuctor in charge, I might end up actually learning to LIKE soldering!

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment