Saturday, January 25, 2014

Weird silver wire wrapped abstract geometric earrings


Something that I find to be a lot of fun is coming up with shapes in my jewelry that I haven't yet created. I can only make so many spirals, squares and triangles! I had some leftover 20 gauge silver plated wire, so I played around with it and came up with these weird-looking wire wrapped earrings:

I don't know what they're supposed to be. They look a little like a profile or maybe a deconstructed star? I should take a poll and see what people say. Maybe I can turn the responses into a personality quiz...

In other news, my husband and I spent the day at the Museum Of Natural History in New York City. We wandered around several exhibits, but walked through a couple of the ones that feature ancient civilizations (Africa and the Pacific Islands). I've always enjoyed going to museums, but I now have a new appreciation for the complex jewelry pieces that were made thousands of years ago. Nowadays, some jewelry is made with machines and computers, whereas they made these gorgeous pieces with simple tools. I think that's why I like working with wire so much. All you need are a few tools and you're set. I enjoy making things from scratch and having to figure out the "architecture" of a piece. I like wearing things and knowing exactly how they were put together.

The 92nd Street Y actually offers a class in ancient jewelry making. I've considered taking it, but something has always come up -- in this semester, I'm taking a memoir writing class, for example. But maybe I'll sign up next time. It would be fun to return to museum and be able to say, "Hey, I can make that, too!"

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations. Also, check out my novel REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment