Friday, January 10, 2014

More wire wrapped lava stone pendants with pink and blue wire and Swarovski crystals


Much as I like to experiment with new jewelry designs, there are some "classics" that I always return to -- such as my wire wrapped lava stone pendants with Swarovski crystals.

I've made dozens of these necklaces for friends and craft fairs and I never tire of putting them together. The wire has a life of its own and I never quite know what the end result is going to be. It's fun to bend and twist and swirl the wire; it reminds me a bit of that drawing game I had as a kid called Spirograph. You'd use stencils to swirl different colors together and though you had some idea of what your pattern would look like, you never knew for sure.

Lately I've been making these lava pendants with different colored wire. So far, I like the way blues and pinks look the best. Purple gets a bit drowned out by the black. I haven't yet used yellow, but I think that would look pretty good, too. I attempted to combine a bunch of different colors in one piece ... but it ended up looking as if a clown threw up on the lava. Sometimes it's better to keep things simple!

I've wire wrapped many different types of stones, but I like lava the best. The black works nicely with a lot of wires and I love the way the rough rock looks when it's gussied up. Plus, it's fun to wear something that's a little out there.

To purchase my jewellery, head to Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment