Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Mixed metal wire wrapped geometric earrings in silver, bronze and copper


Most of my pieces are made of silver wire, but I'm getting more and more into mixing metals. A few weeks ago, I received a request to make some mixed metal earrings and played around with some ideas for designs. The customer ultimately purchased diamond-shaped earrings, but I later came up with this teardrop wire wrapped pair:

What I like about these is that the designs are combined to make one "picture." When I'm working with enamel, the base metal -- usually copper -- serves as the canvas for all of the glass and cloisonne used, but you don't really have that with wire. Instead, you have to build a wire "frame" and then create the design within that blank space.

It took a few tries until I came up with shapes that fit and blended together well. The great thing about wire is that you can just snip or remove it if a design doesn't work. I like how these shapes are pretty simple, but together they create a more complex product.

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment