Thursday, January 9, 2014

Around The World: The Benefits Of Selling Jewelry Online


One of the great things about selling jewelry online is that you can reach out to an international audience. It's funny; I recently had a discussion with my husband about the "small" size of our world. In the not-too-distant past, we thought that we'd conquer distance by changing our transportation systems (i.e. have flying cars, etc.). Instead, it's our communication that's changed and has given us the chance to easily contact almost anyone in any country.

Anyway, Etsy has an international audience and because of that, I often sell items to people outside of the United States. I've sold several pieces to Australians, Canadians and Brits... and I recently sold a pair of my wire wrapped squiggle earrings to a woman in Greece!

I'm always psyched when I sell to a new country (not that ancient Greece is anywhere near being new, but it's new for me...). It's really surreal to think that my pieces are being worn all around the world. I'm happy enough when I see one of my friends wearing my jewelry, but it's a little weird to think that I could be wandering the streets of Athens and see my earrings.

There are some things that I don't like about the Internet. I feel that we no longer spend enough time meeting up in person and that people are sometimes nastier than usual online because they can hide their true identities. However, the Internet is also very useful, especially to small-time artists/vendors like me. In the past, we would've had to rely on selling our goods at local craft fairs and maybe getting our work displayed in a gallery. I'd still like for the latter to happen, but sites like Etsy give artists a wider reach. I'm grateful that I live in a time when it's a little less difficult to turn a hobby into a career.

To purchase my jewellery, head to Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I bought a pair of earrings that look so similar to your designs whilst I was in Athens travelling. I'd bought the pair for my mum who absolutely adored them however after a few months they had gone missing. She is distraught at the thought of having lost them and I wanted to buy a new pair to hide for her and have her stumble across them! However, Greece is an awfully long way for me to go (I'm in England) to get a pair of earrings! So I wonder if you could help, am I able to buy a pair from you? The earrings were a about 3/4 of an inch long wire metal diamond shape. They spiralled inwards with a hooped piercing section. Please help!!
    Kate Galbally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, Thanks for your interest! You can head to my site www.etsy.com/shop/naomirabinowitz and either send me a PM or click on "custom order." Then we can talk about the design and I can come up with a price.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful ideas with us on online shopping.

    ReplyDelete