Monday, September 10, 2012

Never Forget....


This blog post is way off topic, but on the eve of September 11, I want to direct my thoughts to the victims, heroes and their families. 11 years later, I'm fortunate to still be living in New York City, but I'll never forget that day back in 2001.

Back then, I was still working for the magazine, which was in midtown -- right around the corner from the Empire State Building. Because we had TVs in our offices, I was able to watch the Twin Towers collapse in real time, and that horrible sight has haunted me ever since. Though we were miles from the World Trade Center, I'd never felt so unsafe in my city, and wasn't sure what would become of Manhattan.

My boss instructed us to leave the office if we had a safer place to go. I went with with my sister-in-law and her husband to friends who, at the time, had an apartment in midtown. Those friends had a three-week-old baby, but graciously invited us, and about 10 other people, into their home. They cooked us dinner and told us to stay for as long as we had to.

I'm very lucky because I didn't lose anyone that day, but my husband was in the Army Reserves at the time and was called up. I had no idea what they had him doing or where he was going to be sent. Again, we were very fortunate because he was only called up for a few days, and it was mainly to help out around the city. He never had to go overseas. Still, I was so relieved when he returned home a few days later around 1 a.m. I was watching Nick At Nite because it was the only channel that *wasn't* airing 9/11 footage; during a rerun of Diff'rent Strokes, I suddenly heard someone trying to get into our apartment (I'd closed the latch on the lock). I was so happy when my husband entered.

These days, it's all business in New York City, but I think of that day a lot, especially on the anniversary. I'm saddened for those who lost their lives and am grateful to those who've helped keep NYC such a great place.

No comments:

Post a Comment