Thursday, July 5, 2012

Wire wrapped rainbow add a charm bracelet for girls

I'm not a mom or a teacher, so I've been getting ideas for my children's jewelry line from my friends who are mothers or teach young kids. My friend Karen, who is an elementary school teacher, has been particularly helpful to me in suggesting pieces that children would want to wear.

She noted that charm bracelets are very popular amongst the girls in her school, especially the kind where you can add on your own charms. So I came up with my own wire wrapped version of the add a charm, or choose a charm bracelet. I made it with different color 20 gauge plated copper wire so it looks like a rainbow. It's festive and fun, and just an explosion of color:

I wanted to come up with a safe way for the charms to be added. With many charm bracelets, you can order the charms separately and then add them yourself, however, I don't want kids playing with the wire or for the charm to be put on wrong and then break. So instead, I set it up on my Etsy page where you can pick five charms from a list of various charms and colors that each is available in. This way, the customer can make it a personalized gift, but won't have to add the charms herself.

Creating children's jewelry is an interesting challenge because I'm learning that it's not just about what the jewelry looks like. The jewellery almost has to be like a toy, something that can be played with. And this charm bracelet is exactly that!

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment