Monday, April 16, 2012

Jewelry Making Classes: Summer Semester

The 92nd Street Y finally listed their new jewelry class schedule for summer. Yay! Now that I'm freelancing and have more time on my hands, I'm planning to take several over this semester. Most of the classes are only five or six sessions, so I can take a bunch of intensives at once and hone some new skills for the fall craft fairs.

I think I've narrowed it down to the three that I'd like to take. Jewelry II is a given because you need it in order to qualify for many of the advanced jewelry making classes. The school then offers several skill-specific classes so I'm planning to enroll in two of those. Basic enameling sounds like fun; in it, you learn several different techniques, including cloissonne. I LOVE cloisonne so it will be really cool to design my own version of it.

I'm pretty set on those two classes and now have to pick a third. There are so many choices! Basic silversmithing would be very useful and ancient goldsmithing would definitely be interesting. Then there's a class where you learn to anodize metals, turning them into gorgeous colors. The one that I'm leaning toward, though, involves working with precious metal clay. You can make so many things with clay and it would probably be good for me to take a class that's much different than the other two. I enjoy working with metal, but might need a break from sawing and soldering.

I still have a few more days to register, but will make my final decision soon, and will let you know when I do. Whatever classes I choose, you can be sure that I'll have some great new designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment