Monday, September 29, 2014

Wire wrapped jewelry designs: brass wire wrapped snake rings


What an exciting weekend! Our dear friends Scott and Chris FINALLY became engaged after being together for about four years. The surprise proposal/engagement party was wonderful and Scott did a great job in picking out Chris' ring.

This put me in the mood to make a couple of new rings for my collection. Not engagement rings, but coil rings made from 14 gauge brass wire. I had a customer who'd asked me to use this thick, chunky wire and I have a lot left over -- and so I designed these funky snake-shaped wire wrapped rings:

I call them my "wild snake ring" and "dancing snake ring." I haven't used much of this 14 gauge wire, mainly because it's a little difficult to work with. Yes, it's wire, but it's VERY thick -- and it takes a lot of effort to twist it around the ring mandrel and manipulate it into shapes. I'm getting the hang of it, though -- even if I do have a couple of blisters on my fingers. I'm wondering if I should bring the metal to my jewelry class and anneal it with a torch. Then it will be easier to work with. I'm just worried that heating it will destroy the shine. I guess I can play around with it and see what happens.

Speaking of which, tomorrow is enameling! Hooray! I'm so excited to see my teacher and classmates. There are a few of us who return each semester so I'm assuming that the rest of the "regulars" will be there. I'll finally be able to get to work on my Christmas ornaments and am looking forward to doing that.

As soon as I get some ornaments enameled, I'll post, but you can see the rest of my jewelry at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment