Monday, September 15, 2014

Craft Fair Rejection: Moving On


Now that I've had a chance to adjust to the news and enjoy my weekend, I'm feeling much better about my rejection from the craft fair. Don't get me wrong; I'm not happy about it, but I'm also not as upset as I was a couple of days ago when I first got the news.

My friends have been very supportive. A couple wrote me with notices for craft fairs in their neighborhoods, which I appreciate, but I'm not going to travel to New Jersey. Also, many had some funny things to say, which I'm not going to repeat on this blog. You can use your imagination! They got me laughing, though, which always helps when you're feeling down.

On Saturday, I shipped out a few orders and the post office happens to be right next to the park where the fair will take place. I know this is a little silly, but I was nervous about going near that park. I didn't want the reminder of being a "loser." But as I approached the location, I was like, "Wait a minute. I'm going here to drop off ORDERS. This is a good thing!" Plus, that park is right near our favorite indie movie theater and is across from the restaurant where I had my 40th birthday party. I have many good memories associated with living in my neighborhood and I can't let one rejection ruin that for me.

Plus, I'm already making plans to be in a different fair. I'm going to sign up for the Baldwin Street Fair, which is just 25 minutes from me by train. I go to Baldwin often because two of my closest friends live there. I figure I can do the fair and then maybe see my friends for dinner afterward. I was actually supposed to do the Baldwin fair last spring, but it was rained out. So now is my chance to check it out and see if it's an event worth doing again.

I've never taken rejection very well, but I'm trying not to take it personally. All I can do is move on, put it in the past and continue to build my business on my own terms.

Check out my jewellery at Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment