Friday, September 12, 2014

Tales From The Craft Fair: Rejected!


I try to be honest about my jewelry business, so while I write about my triumphs, it's only fair that I also document my failures. Unfortunately, Naomi's Designs has been rejected from the upcoming local art fair.

Saying that I am disappointed about this is an understatement. I was in this fair last year and did very well. My wire wrapped copper necklace was actually featured on the poster. Plus, the park where the fair is being held is two minutes from my home! Getting one's work turned down sucks to begin with, but now I'm going to have to pass that park every day and think about it.

I'm not entirely sure why I was rejected, but I'm not accepting this without a fight. I've written a short, but polite, appeal to the organizer explaining why my work should be included and why I'm a perfect example of the "local artists," whom they're seeking for the event. I don't know if I can persuade them to change their minds, but I can certainly try!

If that doesn't work, I plan to speak with some of the restaurants and businesses near the park and see if they will let me set up a table. The pub where I held my 40th birthday party always displays paintings and sculptures by local artists and they know me as a regular. The place is right across from the park, too.

Otherwise, I'll simply do another fair that day. Fall is a busy time for these events because of the holidays, so I have my pick of fairs to choose from. But, truthfully, I REALLY want to be in this particular one. I love my neighborhood so much and enjoyed being able to show off my work to other locals.

This rejection has left me feeling kind of depressed, but I'm trying to think positively. Business has been good and this is just one event of many. I'm the only one who can stop myself from succeeding.

Check out my handmade wire wrapped and enamel jewelry at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations. And check out my novel, REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment