Friday, June 21, 2013

Silver wire wrapped personalized name bracelet


A couple of weeks ago, my husband went on a business trip to Seattle. While there, he purchased a little gift for me: a copper and silver wire wrapped name bracelet.

I'll be honest: at first, I didn't quite appreciate the gift because it looks just like something I can make myself. However, when he explained that he wanted to buy me something with my name because I can hardly ever find Naomi name jewelry, I appreciated it a lot more! How sweet was that? I now wear it all the time.

Still, I wondered if I really COULD make a similar bracelet. This one had a simple, but very efficient design; only one piece of 18 gauge copper wire was used. It was folded over onto itself and then given an adjustable band. The name was then wire wrapped into a middle section. Jon said that these were selling like hotcakes on the street and were going for about $20. Not bad for a mostly copper bracelet!

Well, the other day I had some time to kill before my enameling class so I hung out in Jon's office and decided to try my hand at this bracelet. I didn't have 18 gauge copper with me, so I used 18 gauge sterling silver wire. Other than that, though, I used a similar style to the mine. I got it, but know what? It wasn't that easy to make. The hardest part was the name because I needed to twist the letters in a particular way to make them recognizable and functional within the design.

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. I like how it looks in solid silver. I also made the name a lot bigger than the name is on mine. I have it up at MayaGirl Creations because it seems like the type of item that a girl would like. I can't take full credit for the idea, but this seems to be the standard design for name bracelets online (of which there are many). So I can't say that this is my most original creation -- but it does have my twist on it.

Jon has suggested that I sell these at my next craft fair, but I don't know if I can make them as quickly as the guy who made mine apparently did. I wish I knew his name so I can give him a shout-out. But, thank you, Seattle artisan for making my bracelet -- and for inspiring me to try my hand at it. I hope you sell many, many more!

Meantime, check out my more creative jewellery at MayaGirl Creations and Naomi's Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment