Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Handmade Wire Jewelry: My Jewellery Making New Year's Resolutions


Happy New Year! I don't make a big deal out of New Year's resolutions because I'm always working on some new project or goal. However, I do like to begin each new year with a clean, fresh mind and with some new goals in mind. Here is what I'd like to achieve in regards to my jewelry businesses:

Spend more time promoting my children's shop, MayaGirl Creations. I'm really pleased with how well its done considering how little I've advertised for it. I opened the shop in June and during the past six months, I've sold more than twice as many items as I did during the first YEAR of Naomi's Designs! I also sold some children's items in person at craft fairs. I know that I can be even more successful, though, if I list more items on Etsy. So I plan to spend more time making kids' items and will be more diligent about promoting them.

Put together a book featuring tutorials of several of my wire wrapped jewelry projects. A few people have said that I should teach jewelry making so this will be my way of doing so. Ideally, the book will include 10 projects ranging from easy to intermediate, with step-by-step photo instructions. This is a long-term goal, but I'd like to complete it by the end of 2013.

Make more new items. This is an ongoing goal for me, but I want to keep at it. In 2012, I made about 100 new pieces. Not all were listed, but I got plenty of practice. I want to do just as well, if not better, in 2013.

Learn to take better photos. I think that my Etsy sales will improve even more if I have better pictures. I'm still working on this, but I'll try my best!

Blog more. I've been pretty good about sticking with a blog schedule, but there have been long gaps where I've gone without writing for a while. I'd like to aim for three entries a week.

Have more successful craft fair experiences. I did many fairs in 2012 and they were hit or miss. I know that sometimes this success is out of my hands, especially when people come simply to look and not buy -- but I want to maximize my experience as much as I can.

Sell my work to stores. This one is a little out of my control. I've tried doing this already, but many stores aren't buying from new artists. I hope that the economy and business improves -- for their sakes and mine.

Continue doing what I did last year! 2012 was a very good year for my jewellery businesses. I took some classes, learned new techniques and sold many pieces. Overall, I'm proud of my work and am pleased with the results. I'd love to have a repeat performance!

To purchase my jewellery, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations. To read my novel, check out REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment