Monday, July 18, 2016

Adventures in jewelry making: silver wire wrapped fused dichroic glass jewelry set with necklace, bracelet and earrings


A few weeks ago, I got an interesting proposition from a potential customer. She asked if I'd be able to make her a custom, one-of-a-kind dichroic glass jewelry set featuring a necklace, earrings and bracelet. We discussed some ideas and I took on the challenge.

Making this set was a big deal for me, not only because this was a large order -- believe me, that's always nice! -- but because it was a chance for me to truly put my growing glass-fusing skills to the test. This woman was also the first stranger to order glass from me. I've already sold many dichroic items online, but they've all been to people I know. While I so appreciate my Facebook friends and acquaintances for supporting me, I'm happy to see my work making more of its way into the world.

This customer turned out to be a designer's dream. She communicated easily, was really nice... and had definite ideas for what kind of pieces she wanted. She went so far as to send me a colored sketch for the pendant. Now all I had to do was make this set come to life. Here is the finished result:

We began by discussing which colors she likes. She had some unusual ideas for combos: reds and purples, mixed with some patterns. She also liked this fuchsia and gold glass I have. The color is interesting, but a little odd: in some light, the glass looks neon pink, but in others, it appears to be yellow. I wasn't sure how well these colors would match up, but this woman had great ideas!

I first started on the bracelet, which was the easiest piece to make. Also, the links served as test strips so I could make sure the colors would fire properly. I made about 20 different color links and showed her the ones I thought she'd most like. She approved and the rest will be used to make other bracelets and necklace chains.

This customer really wanted red glass included in her design. I didn't have any on hand; plus, red is notoriously difficult to fire. When enameling, red tends to turn orange-y or brown, especially if you fire it for too long. However, I found two potential reds I could use: Candy Apple and Black Cherry. I hoped one would work.

Candy Apple was a dud. It's bright red before firing, but once it's put in the kiln, the glass turns orange. I tried to underfire it, but it still wasn't a pretty red. Happily, the Black Cherry worked and produced a nice, rich color. Even better, my customer loved it.

Altogether, she wanted six colors included in the piece, but also requested to keep the earrings small, at 12 mm each. I didn't want to cram six colors into such a tiny space, so I suggested that we do something funky and use three colors in each earring. They'd be mismatched, but they'd fit into the set as a whole. I came up with a design that would feature each color and prominently showed off the red she liked so much.

Now came the most difficult part: making the pendant. She'd come up with an abstract design, with the glass cut at specific angles and each color in a definite place. I made a few more test strips, making sure I knew exactly how long to fire the piece so the colors would stand out. I then set to work cutting and filing the glass. I was really pleased with the end result and said a little prayer before setting it into the kiln. I just hoped the glass wouldn't break or move during the firing process, or that the colors would end up being wrong. I was so relived when the pendant turned out just the way it was supposed to.

The customer had found me because she liked the way I wire wrapped my glass jewelry. She wanted a wrap on the pendant, so I came up with a very simple design that would frame, but not obscure the necklace. I used pink Swarovski crystals so they'd show up against the red and bring out the pink in the gold-fuchsia glass.

Now I'm just hoping that the set reaches her in the mail and she likes it in person! It took me a couple of weeks to finish this project, but the labor was worth it. I've learned so much just by making this one set. I'm now a lot more skilled at cutting glass into definite shapes and at firing the glass into definite colors. It means so much to me that this woman not only appreciated my work, but had enough faith in me as a designer to create a complex and original piece.

We just received applications for the annual art fair held in my town. Assuming I'm accepted once again, I'm excited to put my glass on display and to continue to get my name out there. I also got some good news from the rec director at the senior home: she says the women enjoyed my class and has invited me back for a second session. So far, this is turning out to be a good year for me on the jewelry front. I'll keep working as hard as I can to make the rest of 2016 a success.

Check out the rest of my handmade wire wrapped, fused glass and enamel jewelry at Naomi's Designs, MayaGirl Creations and Glass By Naomi.

No comments:

Post a Comment