Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Silver wire wrapped copper daisy anklet with blue enamel accents


I haven't posted about many enamel projects lately, as you may have noticed. I'm still at my enameling class every week -- I love my teacher and classmates -- but I've been in an experimental phase. I've been playing around with different enameling techniques and not all of my pieces have turned out so well.

I attempted to make a cuff bracelet so I could enamel something that isn't flat. Boy was that a mess! The enamel just wouldn't stay in place, even with the addition of Klyr-Fire (a clear, but sticky liquid used to keep enamel and cloissoinne wire in place). So I ditched the bracelet.

Now that I'm learning to make fused glass pieces, I next tried to create an enamel pendant that looked as if it were made of fused glass. I used large glass blobs that you can add to enamel to create texture and piled them on. At first, the piece turned out nicely, but I went overboard in adding the glass fragments... and I had another mess.

I then finally got something right! My teacher suggested that I add enamel to one of my wire wrapped jewellery designs. I didn't even realize you could do this; I figured the enamel would fall through the cracks since most of my designs are "spiraled." But I made one of my spiral daisies, added some blue enamel to the center... and what do you know? The glass stayed in place. Even better, I loved how it looked when I fired my piece.

I made several more daisies and turned them into a new version of my wire wrapped daisy anklet. I used copper because you can only enamel fine silver -- which is much more expensive. I originally planned to use a different color enamel in each flower center, but decided to stick with just one color instead: Prussian Blue, which is a deep, rich transparent enamel.

You might notice that the copper has a pinkish hue. This is what happens to the metal after it's fired and then cleaned in pickle solution. I wanted my jumprings and chain to match, so I also fired and pickled them.

I'm very pleased with the final result -- and I learned a great way to combine enamel and wire wrapping. This is relatively easy to do, too. I'm going to try some other color enamels with the copper. I think a pink would look pretty, especially since the copper turns that pinkish shade in the process.

Please check out the rest of my work at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment