Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Revisiting a classic design: silver wire wrapped triple heart earrings with clear Swarovski crystal hearts


Last week marked six years since I had surgery on my broken ankle. While this is a milestone in of itself, it's also important in regards to my jewelry-making history. It was during the four months that I was out of work that I took up making jewelry as a way to pass the time. I just didn't expect to fall in love with it and for it to turn into a career.

My first few designs were pretty simple, but classic -- and many still sell. These wire wrapped triple heart earrings are a good example:

.

Anyone who's read this blog knows how much I love my Swarovski crystal hearts -- and if you haven't read this site, well, now you know this very important, scintillating bit of info on me. :-)

Anyway, I made these tiered earrings using hearts in two colors. It reminds me of something I might have owned as a kid in the '80s. But I liked the earrings and to my surprise, others did, too. I often try to make my jewelry more complex, but some people -- myself included -- like wearing minimalist and traditional pieces.

Well, I recently had a customer request that I make these using three clear Swarovski hearts instead of the colorful ones. I made her earrings and was surprised at how such a small change could enhance the earrings. Though there are no bright colors, the clear hears actually stand out more and are striking against a solid-colored top. They're so simple, but elegant. My other triple heart earrings are cute and fun, but this version looks a bit more upscale.

I'm so busy thinking of my next project and working on my next design that I sometimes forget about my old standbys. I need to revisit more of them and see how I can update my classic collection.

Check out my handmade jewellery at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment