Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Tales From Enameling Class: Another One Bites The Dust!


Well, first the bad news: I'm having the worst luck with craft fairs this years! Yesterday, I brought in my application for the holiday fair at the Y... and learned that it's already been sold out. Bummer! Apparently, it sold out on the very first day. Many of the jewelry teachers and students grabbed several tables at once so they could guarantee that their students/classmates would have a slot.

I'm not too upset by this. Live and learn, I guess, and I now know to sign up IMMEDIATELY the next time. But my teacher is furious. She made a list of all of her students who want to be in the fair and promised to speak with the director about getting us a table. She also apologized for not getting us a table herself. I'm not sure they'll have the space to put an extra table, but I really appreciate her going to bat for us. I suggested that since the fair is a three-day event, they simply have different people sell on each day; then they can have way more participants. If that many people are interested, they either need to find a larger space for the event or have it juried. If I were rejected from this fair in a jury situation, I wouldn't object. I'm constantly impressed and humbled by the work of the other Y students.

But now some better news: I'm really making progress on my enamel Christmas ornaments:

I stayed for two hours of studio time last evening so I got a lot done -- and I'm still not completely finished with these four pieces. I have to add a layer of counter (the enamel put on the opposite side) and clean each piece. They're turning out to be a really time-consuming project, much more so than I anticipated. But I'm pleased with how they look. I think they're bright, colorful and fun -- perfect for Christmas! One of my friends said they remind him of Christmas cookies, which is exactly what I'm going for. It does feel a bit like I'm "frosting" the pieces when I add on the designs.

One of my classmates was amused at the idea of, as she put it, "A nice Jewish girl making Christmas ornaments," but I do enjoy the holiday season. I help decorate our friends' tree each year, so I'm having a great time making my own line of ornaments.

I'll continue to share photos as I make more of these guys. Meantime, you can purchase the rest of my handmade enamel and wire wrapped jewelry at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment