Sunday, February 19, 2012

Metalsmithing Class, Part II

Well, I've been in my metalsmithing class for three weeks now ... and to be honest, I don't love it.

Metalsmithing requires a lot of expensive tools, and is very time-consuming, exact and precise. You can't just jump in and be creative as I like to be with my wire jewelry. You have to sit and measure and saw and file before you make anything. There's nothing wrong with this, of course, but for me, it takes me out of the creative process.

I think the skill itself is interesting and plan to finish out the remaining 11 classes in the semester. But being back in the classroom has turned out to be a big disappointment.

I haven't taken any sort of classes since grad school (back in 1997), but have always enjoyed school. I especially loved classes where I had an inspiring teacher and the students exchanged interesting ideas. I guess I igured that this is what this class would be like -- that it would be a bunch of budding artists being led by some artsy Mother Earth-type as we discuss our love for creating things.

Call me naive because it's not like that at all! The instructor is nice enough, but she's rather bland and not inspiring at all. She comes at the very start of class, leaves as soon as the clock strikes nine, and seems to be there just to collect a paycheck. Meanwhile, my classmates are all girls younger than me and are all soooo quiet and boring! I mean, I understand the fact that we have to concentrate on our work, but we barely say hello to each other. I've tried, but all will just respond with a tight smile. For one class, an older woman in her 60s joined in and she was friendly. I liked her because we could work and chat, and it made things fun. But she hasn't been back and it's back to Silentville for the rest of us. We all sit there, filing or sawing, with no music or anything.

Even worse, the instructor is just not a great teacher. She flies through instructions that have many steps and expects us to get it -- and I just can't learn like that. I'm very visual; I need to actually go through the procedure myself in order to get it, especially when dealing with dangerous tools. Then when I call her over to ask again how to load a saw or turn on the drill, she kind of rolls her eyes at me. I always got As in school and in music -- and she makes me feel like I'm stupid.

I think that with another instructor I'd like the class a lot more. I do have some new skills and can see how I can expand my repertoire -- and it's always nice to learn new things. But if I take the next level, I am definitely not going with this bore again. To me, making art is about getting people fired up, about helping them find their passions, and she just ain't doin' it.

To see or purchase my non-metalsmithed jewelry, had to Naomi's Studio on Artfire or Naomi's Designs on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment