Monday, November 12, 2012

Bad News, Good News


First, some bad news: I did not win any prizes in Firemountain Gems' jewelry making contest. Two of my wire wrapped jewelry pieces were finalists, but I didn't win any of the big prizes.

Of course I'm disappointed in the outcome, but I'm not disappointed in myself. I put a lot into both necklaces and came up with some creative wire wrapped designs that I hadn't yet tried. And the pieces that did win are gorgeous. Firemountain Gems seems to favor large, chunky pieces and they also seem to really like work that was done with precious metal clay. I'd consider doing a PMC piece except it's a really EXPENSIVE material and I'd hate to use that much for a necklace that may or may not win. So if I decide to enter again next year, I'll probably do some more wire wrapped jewellery. Even if I don't have a chance at winning, I do like the idea of being creative and testing my limits.

One thing that is really cool is that they photographed a judge wearing my necklaces. I hadn't seem them on anyone other than myself, so I enjoyed seeing it displayed

Meanwhile, I do have some good news: On November 18, I'll be selling my jewelry at the Riverdale Temple in Riverdale, NY. I have to get up really early for this show and it'll be a bit of trip getting to the Bronx from Queens, but I'm looking forward to it. I had such a great time selling at Temple Beth-El in Patchogue, NY, so why not participate at another temple fair? I like the intimacy of the set-up; plus, we're getting into the holiday season so people will be eager to buy gifts.

I think that from now on, I'm going to stick with doing smaller fairs and events. I've done some larger ones and those just haven't been as successful for me. I was discussing this with one of my jewelry classmates and she reasoned that vendors can get diluted at larger fairs. Sure, you may have 30,000 people attending, but if there are 300 vendors present, your stand can get lost in the crowd. Also, many people go to big fairs or flea markets just to look and wander, and not to buy. At the smaller events, people are more likely to come up to you and ask questions, and give you a chance to actually make that sale. Besides, the large fairs always ask for an expensive registration fee -- and the sales just haven't been worth it.

This will be my fourth craft fair this fall. My goal is to do three more. We're coming up close on Christmas so this will be a stretch, but if I work hard, I think I can do it.

To purchase my jewellery, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations. To purchase my novel, check out REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment