Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Silver wire wrapped bracelet with Murano inspired fused dichroic glass beads


Now that I'm getting the hang of working with fused glass, I've been trying to make some different types of jewelry in addition to the pendants and pins. My latest project: this multicolored dichroic bracelet:

My inspiration for this bracelet were Murano beads, which are intricate and colorful. I really like Murano bracelets, which usually consist of several glass beads, each with a different design and color. They're absolutely beautiful and there are so many variations.

I don't know how to make blown glass or lampworked glass, so I stuck with dichroic. I cut several small, uniform pieces of clear glass base and then fused each with a unique dichroic pattern. I made a point to include several solid colors and several patterned samples.

Once I fired the beads and they were fully fused, I had to figure out a way to connect them. Basically, I constructed one of my wire wrapped spiral bracelets... only I glued the beads onto the centers of the spiral. This way, the bracelet is structurally sound, but is also flexible enough to bend around a wrist.

Now that I've made this design, I'd like to create some other bracelets; for instance, I can do one made up of all blue glass or pinks and yellows. Sometimes I'm still surprised to see what color the glass ends up being when it cools, but it's all beautiful!

Check out the rest of my handmade wire wrapped, enamel and glass jewelry at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment