Thursday, October 18, 2012

Making Handmade Jewelry: Split Personality


When my job ended earlier this year, I feared that I'd have nothing to do. I thrive on being a busy person and having multiple projects to work on and worried that I'd go crazy not being in an office.

Know what? I'm busier than ever. Sure, I can sleep in and work in my jammies, but I have so much going on that it's sometimes overwhelming. I often work well into the evening and have to force myself to just stop and watch TV or read a book.

Right now my big projects are my jewelry lines and my book so I feel as if I have two different personalities. For the first half of the day, I'm Writer Naomi. She posts entries on her author blog, does some work for HubPages and spends time e-mailing other bloggers in the hopes of getting her book reviewed. That's a lot to handle in of itself.

The later half of the day I'm Jewelry Naomi. She writes blog posts about her jewellery lines, contacts stores in the hopes of some picking up her jewelry creations and plans for upcoming craft fairs. Again, that's a lot of work!

I don't mind, though. I do have so many goals and ideas that I sometimes feel as if my head is going to explode, but I'd rather be swamped by creative ventures than be bored. Right now, my book is getting more of my time, but I'm sure that my jewelry will become my priority in the future. Either way, it doesn't matter. I'm my own boss. I can work on whatever I want to work on, which is really cool.

In working for myself, I've found that the problem isn't finding things to do. It's me wanting to take on too much at once. I know that I need to stay balanced so that I can put enough time into each of my pursuits. For now, I'm very pleased with where I'm at!

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations. To purchase my book, check out REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment