Friday, September 12, 2014

Wire wrapped spiral lava stone pendant necklaces

For the past few weeks, I've been playing around with a different sort of wire wrapped lava stone pendant. I've made plenty of these necklaces in the past, but I've been using two different colors of wire and have been twisting them into more complex spiral designs:

For each one, I'm using the same basic pattern: two types of wire, which I twist into spirals and swirls. However, each design is unique, as you can see. Some look like ocean waves; others look more floral... it's amazing what can be made with a simple spiral! It reminds me a bit of this toy I had as a kid called Spirograph. Do you remember this? Basically, you'd use stencils and spin them to create circular patterns. The end result was always different from the last. I loved that toy!

So far, I'm finding that it's easier to work with regular metal wire (copper, silver, etc.). The color-plated wire is stiff and isn't as easy to bend. I've solved that problem by laying down the color wire first and then adding the silver or brass, or whatever. It's just much easier to do the top wrap with regular wire -- though I do like that stone with the two different blues. Maybe I just need more practice!

Check out my wire wrapped and enamel jewellery at Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations. Check out my novel, REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD, on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment