Sunday, September 7, 2014

Wire wrapped lava stone pendant with blue and turquoise spirals


It was a slow summer for my jewelry projects, but for the past few days I've been really productive! I'm still working on my Christmas ornaments, plus I've made about a dozen new earrings and necklaces. One of my favorites is this blue and turquoise wire wrapped lava stone pendant:

I don't like working with color-plated wire as much as I like working with plain silver, copper or brass. Colorful wire looks really pretty, but it's a bit more difficult to maneuver -- and it isn't as easy to twist into spirals. Still, it looks nice and I do enjoy making pieces with it. If you've read any of this blog, you know how much I love blue and this necklace is no exception. I didn't add too much wire, but I like the combination of the light and dark shades.

When I used to make these wire wrapped pieces, my designs were pretty random. I'd twist the wire around and just see how it would turn out. I've had a lot of practice by this point, though, so my wire wrap designs are much more deliberate. What's funny is that I've gotten some orders for older pieces and it was now difficult for me to recreate that "random" look.

I have a craft fair in a few weeks and the lava stone pendants are usually well-received. I hope people like this one, too!

Check out the rest of my wire wrapped and enamel jewellery at Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment