Monday, September 22, 2014

Making Wire Wrapped Jewelry: Designing Custom Orders


Some possible clients have asked about how I work with requests for custom orders. It really depends from order to order, but for the most part, it's something that I really enjoy.

Though I'm always coming up with new jewelry designs, I obviously can't think of everything! Many times my customers have great ideas for pieces and I'm happy to make them come to "life." Most simply ask me to tweak one of my already-existing designs. For instance, one woman asked me to add specific colored Swarovski crystals to a few of my pairs of earrings (pictured below). Another had me lengthen a couple of my bracelets so I could turn them into anklets. Then there are some clients who request that I make one of my pieces, say a ring, in silver instead of copper or gold instead of silver, etc.

A couple of clients have actually e-mailed me sketches of the pieces they had in mind. This was the case with the ring that's pictured. The woman lost an antique and asked me to replicate it; she then drew me a picture to show what it had looked like.

Then there are customers who give me a lot of freedom. One recently had me make wire wrapped lapis lazuli earrings with a note, "I'm not picky about what they look like, so just do something pretty." Another asked me to make a gold-colored bracelet with black and red beads, but was open to the actual design of it.

There are some instances when I can't honor a person's request -- and I will be very honest with them. One woman asked me to make her a vest from copper wire. I don't know anything about making clothes -- in copper or any other material! Not to mention, I probably would've have had to charge her about $1000 for materials and labor. Perhaps she would've been willing to pay this which would've been great for me, but I didn't think I could do a good job and wasn't about to rip her off. I found a couple of chainmaille artists on Etsy and sent her the links.

In general, I'm very flexible. Plus, it's fun coming up with new ideas and doing a collaboration. I do my best to keep the costs down and let customers know if a certain material won't be worth using. I do list the new design once it's made unless a customer specifically asks me to make a one-of-a-kind piece.

So if you're interested in hitting me up for an idea, simply click on the "custom order" link on my Etsy pages: Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations. Meantime, check out some of the custom-made pieces I've done:

No comments:

Post a Comment