Saturday, September 6, 2014

Funky silver wire wrapped earrings with Swarovski crystals

With a new season approaching, I've been on a bit of a jewelry-making kick. Sales are picking up again and I have a couple of craft fairs on the horizon, so my creativity is flowing! For the past few days, I took a break from making my enamel Christmas ornaments and have been working on some new wire wrapped silver earring designs:


The ones that feature the rainbow Swarovski crystals and spiral within the square are actually an old design which I've updated. I used to make these with nickel wire, but the 20 gauge silver plated is better looking and easier to work with. I like the randomness of the crystal colors. I call them my "party earrings" because the different color stones look a bit like confetti.

The triangle and zig zag earrings are also a tweaked design. I had a pair of similar looking wire wrapped earrings for sale, only these had triangles with fewer turns of the spiral. I've received several requests from customers to play around with crystal colors so I thought I'd try out a few new combos of my own. The red, orange and yellow triangles remind me of the fall or a fiery sunset; meanwhile, the purple, blue and green earrings feature cool colors and look like water.

The spiral squares are a variation on the geometric triangle earrings. It's the same concept of playing with different shapes, but I hadn't yet made anything with this particular combination. While cleaning out my jewelry supply boxes, I came upon a bag of off-white Swarovski crystals called "sand opal" and decided to use them in these earrings. I really like how they go with the peridot green and pink crystal bicones. I think I'm also going to make these earrings with a bolder colored group of crystals.

Fall is my favorite season so I'm looking forward to working and trying out some new ideas. Meantime, check out my shops Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment