Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Handmade carved silver chunky ring: A sale and some closure


.

Though I began making jewelry in 2010, I didn't take any jewelry-making classes until Februrary, 2012. As a birthday present to myself, I signed up for a basic metalsmithing class. I figured that I could combine these skills with wire wrapping and could make some more interesting and complex pieces.

Unfortunately, I just did not get along with my instructor. I've written about her before in this blog -- and while she wasn't a bad person, we just didn't hit it off. If a student didn't understand something right away, she'd grow impatient, and I was one of those students who needed that extra practice. I suspect that she's a wonderful teacher when dealing with advanced students, but doesn't do so well with beginners. By the end of the semester, our class of 16 had dwindled down to just 3 women, myself included.

I stuck it out for a few reasons: 1) I paid a lot of money for this class and supplies. 2) I wanted to prove to myself that I could learn a new skill. 3) I wanted to show this teacher that she couldn't make me quit. Eventually, a fourth reason was added to this list when I was laid off in March and decided to work on writing and designing jewelry full-time.

Because I was trying to learn these skills for a job, the class stopped being even remotely fun (not that it was so much fun, anyway) and I put a ridiculous amount of pressure on myself. I'm ashamed to admit that I broke down in tears a few times simply because I couldn't properly solder metal or successfully fuse a piece together. Talk about being a big baby! I took these "failures" way too personally -- and having this particular teacher didn't help.

Anyway, I did manage to complete one project: this chunky, carved ring made from fine silver. Everyone made rings so we could learn how to use a jewelry saw and how to do some basic soldering. I liked how my ring turned out, but I measured it incorrectly and it didn't quite fit my finger. I put it up for sale online, but it's difficult to sell a one-of-a-kind piece that only comes in a specific size.

Well, last night, I FINALLY sold the ring! I'm so happy right now and feel a sense of closure. This ring reminds me of that transitional period and how I pushed myself to get through it. Business has been good, but the sale of this ring has special meaning for me.

Meanwhile, things worked out for me during the next semester. Because I was now working for myself, I was able to take the mid-day enameling class, which is where I met my current instructor. I adore enameling, as well as this teacher and will soon be returning for my 3rd year in her class. She's taught me so much and is also one of my biggest cheerleaders. She's someone whom I admire and consider to be a friend.

I'm not sure when I'll ever feel that I've truly "made it" in this business... but I love making jewelry and am grateful that I get to do something so creative. Please check out my pieces at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations. You can also check out my novel, REVENGE OF A BAND GEEK GONE BAD, on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment