Friday, February 13, 2015

Handmade wire wrapped amethyst pendant for February


Since I have a February birthday, I love my birthstone, amethyst. I own a lot of purple amethyst jewelry and often use the gemstone in my own pieces. But while I use many amethysts that have been cut into clean and clear shapes, I really love the natural look of the stone. I've always wanted to get a huge amethyst geode, but those can be thousands of dollars!

The next best thing was to get a smaller version and so I purchased "raw" amethyst beads. I like using large beads as a canvas for my wire wraps, so I dressed it up with a brass design. I actually made this pendant a couple of years ago, but it's been getting a lot of attention on Etsy this month -- probably because it is February -- so I'm giving it a little showcase:

What's interesting about this set of beads is that not all of the stones are purple. Some have a greenish color and some are purple and clean. Then there are even a few that look almost clear. Most people I know associates amethysts with purple, but they're more varied. It's amazing what beauty is produced in nature!

I'll continue to use my amethyst hearts and bicones, but these purple stones are lovely to look at as is.

Check out the rest of my wire wrapped and enamel jewellery at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment