Sunday, May 12, 2013

Silver wire wrapped enamel and cloisonne cat pendant necklace


Well, my first craft fair of the season was a complete and total bust. We had some heavy rain yesterday, but the ad for the fair said "rain or shine" so I dragged my butt out of bed on a Saturday and schlepped down to the fair site. When I got there, I was told that most of the other vendors left because of the weather and the fair was cancelled. So much for "rain or shine!" I wish I'd just stayed in bed, but I paid a registration fee... and have now unfortunately lost money. They offered to let me sell today, but it's Mother's Day so I can't. My husband says not to worry about the lost wages, but it's frustrating. Grrr...

Still, I'm trying to look ahead. I have another fair coming up in a month and this one is for a great cause: the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I enjoy selling at charity events where I can donate a portion of my proceeds -- at least my money is going toward something worthwhile! Plus, it'll be indoors so the weather won't be an issue.

Meanwhile, Tuesday will be my last enameling class of this semester. The "summer" semester begins two weeks later, but I'm saddened that this particular class will be ending. We just happen to have a great group of people who get along really well. Most of the students with whom I've worked have been very nice, but many haven't been that into the craft we're learning. In most of my classes, there are only a few people left by the end of the semester. However, everyone has stayed in this class and everyone is really into enameling, which makes it all the more fun to learn.

What I also love about this group is that we spend many classes having interesting discussions about things other than jewelry making. Sure, we talk about enameling and go over projects, but as we work, we talk about politics, family, history, TV shows... any topic you can imagine. I've learned so many non-jewelry-related factoids from my fellow students and have shared a lot of laughs. When I originally signed up for jewelry a year-and-a-half ago, THIS is what I envisioned the classes would be like: places to learn a skill and meet some interesting folk. I didn't expect that first class to be so serious and, well... sucky. Anyway, we're having a party to celebrate our successful semester, which will be bittersweet for all of us. A few others will be in the summer class, but it won't be the same.

I don't know how much work I'll get done on Tuesday, but I did finish my latest piece: an enamel and cloisonné cat pendant with a silver wire wrapped chain:

I used the cloisonné wire to create an abstract design. I wanted it to suggest the idea of a cat's patterns, but to be a little surreal. I based the colors on my sweet baby, Maya:

As a cat lover, I can never get enough of cat-shaped things! Hopefully, another cat lover will fall for this item.

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment