Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fall Jewelry Classes!

It's only the middle of July, but it's already time to register for fall classes at the 92nd Street Y. Though I've enjoyed taking my enamel class at Fitzgerald Jewelers in Brooklyn, I miss going to the Y. I prefer being in Manhattan, plus it's a much more professional environment. The teachers at Fitzgerald have been wonderful and are so, so talented, but the equipment is lacking. We're basically taking the class in the store whereas the classrooms at the Y are specifically set up to be studios.

I definitely plan to take enameling and precious metal clay again. I really liked both and especially enjoy working with enamel. This time, the class will be 15 sessions long, so I'll really get to know the ins and outs of this art. I'll have a chance to do some more intricate cloisonne work, just in time for the holiday craft fair season.

PMC is more of a fun class for me. It's only seven sessions, but I love the teacher and managed to make a lot of pieces in her last class. This is a very relaxing thing to do, and I need that sometimes.

Now my big question is, do I take a third class? Fall is going to be busy with craft fairs and travel and whatnot, but so many classes look interesting! I DO NOT plan to take anything that involves metalsmithing; I need a break from that. But I am thinking of taking wax carving. When you carve in wax, you can get a mold cast and then make hundreds of the same piece. It's a step for mass production. Much as I like making every piece by hand, this method would open up some opportunities for me, especially if I'd like to sell to stores. Plus, it seems like it would be fun to carve little wax sculptures. So I have this class marked for consideration.

I have to say, my time at the Y has been very productive. Here's a look back at the pieces I've made there:

Chunky silver ring:

Mixed metal stacking rings in copper and fine silver with blue cabochons:

Enamel and cloisonne pendants:

Copper pendant and earrings:

Precious metal clay pendants and earrings:

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment