Sunday, July 22, 2012

Copper wire wrapped rings with Swarovski crystals

For the longest time, I avoided making rings. When I first began making wire wrapped jewelry, I watched some ring tutorials online and attempted to make some --and failed miserably. My rings were so unfortunate looking and I decided to concentrate on other pieces, like earrings instead. Rings seemed to be boring, anyway. I mean, how intricate could you really make them?

Well, my mind has been changed and I take back ever thinking that they were boring to make! Over the past year, I've gained a new respect for them and find that some of my most creative pieces have been rings. I've, of course, designed my line of infinity rings and funky coil wire wrapped rings, but I wanted to try making something a little more intricate. So I returned to my mandrel and played around with it -- and you know what? After two years of wire wrapping, I CAN, in fact, make some interesting and nice looking pieces.

The following pieces are from my new line of abstract copper wire wrapped art rings. These are all one of of kind and are a size 7 or 7 1/2 (I went for the most common sizes). Basically, I created a ring base and then let my imagination guide me as I designed the rings' center. I twisted and looped the wire, added some Swarovski crystals and really didn't know what to expect until I'd finished! I think that these are cool, though. Here are the pieces I've made so far:

These designs were somewhat random as I'm still figuring out how much wire I need for certain patterns, but I'm getting better at gauging these things. They're so much fun to make, too! I can't believe I waited so long to work on rings, but am glad that I finally "discovered" them.

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewellery, head to MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment