Monday, April 2, 2012

Metalsmithing Class: Decisions, Decisions

Now that my metalsmithing class is almost over (the last class is on May 17), it's time to start thinking about the next classes that I'd like to take. Since I now have more time on my hands, I intend to basically study jewelry design full-time. I love it and am starting to profit from it, so why not?

The only downside is that there are too many options!!! Once you complete Jewelry I, basic metalsmithing, you qualify for almost every other class in my program. So the world is my oyster -- or the pearl, in this case since it would make a nice accent on a jewelry piece, LOL.

Anyway, I do know that I will definitely take Jewelry II. My teacher explained that at this level, you learn how to make three-dimensional soldered objects, like cubes. This way, you can practice soldering seams at different angles. You also learn to make hollowed objects, like locket necklaces, which involves manipulating the metal into that hollow shape. Both sound very cool.

I'd like to also take some specialty classes, though. Some that sound interesting teach filigree work (making intricate looping designs and well, you all know how much I love those), enamel work, ancient-style goldsmithing (how awesome is that?). The list goes on and on. My plan is to take two longterm classes and one intensive workshop this summer. That will certainly keep me busy!

Registration is in two weeks so I have some time to decide, but I'm now very excited about the summer months. No more slaving away in an office for me. I'll be sawing and torching and melting, and creating beautiful things.

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment