Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Anodized Aluminum Jewelry!

I just got my shipment of anodized aluminum strips! Aren't they pretty/


Aluminum is anodized when it's submerged in an acid electrolyte bath and then an electric current is run through. This changes the structure so that the metal becomes hard and durable. It also allows it to be dyed brilliant colors, though it can't be soldered. Since anodized aluminum doesn't oxidize, it doesn't corrode or rust.

I ordered 24 gauge sheets. They look a little like construction paper, though they're obviously tougher than that. They're really easy to cut, though. I was able to saw through them in only a few minutes -- and without getting a hand cramp! This was a nice change after sawing through copper and 20 gauge silver, which is REALLY tough.

I've enjoyed working with silver and copper, which has been an interesting change from all wire projects. Now I can add even more color into my work.

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs on Etsy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    May I ask where you purchased your aluminum? It's so hard to find! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, I haven't worked with aluminum in a while, but when I did, I ordered sheets from a store called Metalliferous (www.metalliferous.com) that's in NYC. If you go to their site and click on the "base metal" link, you'll find their anodized aluminum section. Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete