Sunday, March 25, 2012

Making Jewelry Full-time

Well, I have some big news: I was just laid off from my day job, which was writing for a soap magazine. Our company shut down two out of the three magazines that were a part of the soap group and had to let a bunch of people go. I'm in good company in being unemployed.

I'm going to miss my work friends very much, but fortunately, I have a lot of plans for the future -- so many in fact, that it's kind of overwhelming. I woke up this morning in a panic thinking, "Oh my God, how am I going to get all of this stuff done?" But then I thought, "Wait; I now have the time to do anything I want!"

Of course, at the top of my list is improving my jewelry business. I've been adding more and more items to my Etsy shop and plan to call some stores to see if we can set up meetings. I've been pleased with how the jewelry is going as a hobby, but I'd like to reach a point where I turn a profit. Right now, I'm still spending more than I'm making and need to catch up. I'm looking forward to working on my jewelry and writing full time, but need to make sure that I make at least *some* money and spend some time around people so that I'm not completely isolated.

I've also been trying to diversify my jewelry styles and jewelry business. The metalsmithing class is helping (I'll post some pics later when my pieces are complete) and, as you saw from my previous entry, am now making rings. Here are a few of the copper wire wrapped coil rings I've recently made:




To purchase my jewelry, head to NAOMI'S DESIGNS.

No comments:

Post a Comment