Monday, March 26, 2012

Metalsmithing Class: My sterling silver ring with flower design

Here it is! Here is the mythical silver ring that I have been talking about all semester:


While I don't think it's my best piece, I'm proud of it. For a seemingly simple ring, a lot of work went into making it! First, I had to carve out the silver strip using a jeweler's saw, then I had to drill and saw out the flower design. Next, I had to file the entire piece. I then annealed the ring by torching it so that I could make the metal more flexible; next, I bent it into a ring shape.

Next, I soldered the ends together, then annealed it a second time. Finally, I sanded, polished and buffed it.

So there were a lot of steps in making it -- and it doesn't even fit me. It's about a half size too small (though it's sligtly big on my pinky). So if anyone reading is a size 8 1/2 ring wearer, you can buy it on Etsy.

To purchase more of my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment