Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Yet More Handmade Enamel Jewelry

My last enamel class at Fitzgerald Jewelery was on Monday. I really enjoyed this class and was sorry for it to end, though I won't miss traveling to Brooklyn! There were things that I didn't care for in the studio, such as the lack of equipment, but once I got into it (and bought my own supplies), I had a great time. I really liked that this teacher stayed out of our way and let us learn and make things without her hovering. In the six weeks that I was in this class, I managed to make many more items than I had in the six weeks that I was in enameling at the 92nd Street Y.

I don't know if this has to do with me simply being more experienced at this point or if it was because the other class was more instructional. Don't get me wrong, I loved that class, too, and am taking the longer version of it this fall. Hopefully, that teacher will realize that I've reached an intermediate level and will just let me do my thing.

In this last class, I managed to make three items -- a record for me! Even better, I did so without making any glaring mistakes. Here they are:

Blue butterfly pendant:

Abstract colorful pendant:

Red rose pendant:

My initial plan on Monday was to finish the rose pendant. I'd applied the fine silver cloisonne wire, but one piece had moved, so I needed to snip it off and then redo the enamel to cover the dent. Happily, it came out clean; I like the way this simple design looks. So far, it's my husband's favorite out of my enamel pendants. I like modern art, but he likes the minimalist design.

I then had some time left over, so I decided to just play around -- and that's how I came up with that multicolored pendant. There wasn't much thought put into it, honestly, but it's a fun and colorful piece.

When making the butterfly, I knew not to hand fire with the torch as that move turned out to be disastrous the last time. Instead, I fired it in the kiln. I then had about 10 minutes of class left so I simply sifted the blue and light blue enamel powder onto the pendant instead of painting it. And voila! I had a butterfly.

I can't believe that I have to wait almost two months until my next enameling class. Oh, well, it will give me time to come up with some great ideas for pieces!

To purchase my jewellery, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment