Saturday, August 11, 2012

Trying New Etsy Strategies

This week, I was invited to join an Etsy team that's into doing "Buying And Replace" (BNR) treasuries. Basically, the team leader creates a treasury that features 16 shops and in order to be featured in the treasury yourself, you need to buy one of the items posted.

It sounded simple and fun enough, and I was told that it could bring my shops more views and sales. So I figured, "Why not?" and signed on. I purchased some bath products and eagerly waited to be featured in the treasury myself.

Know what? Nothing happened. I was featured in two rounds and while my list of "favored" items went up, it wasn't a legitimate spike; it was simply team members favoriting everyone else's items in the treasury. But aside from that, my views stayed about the same and I didn't make any extra sales. In fact, I ended up losing money because I had to buy my way into the BNR.

The more I try things like the Tophatter auctions, this BNR, the more I'm realizing that you can't really *do* anything drastic to *make* people buy your product. You have to entice people with good craftmanship, quality, photos, prices, etc. -- but it's all up to the indvidual seller.

I'm not really into joining forums, but I'll definitely check in with the team to see if anyone has some good sales advice. Still, I think I'm going to stick with the old-fashioned ways of selling my own items. So off to create for my two craft fairs in September...

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment