Friday, June 15, 2012

Fine silver necklace with multicolored enamel pendant in blue, turquoise and purple

This is my very first finished piece of enamel jewelry! It was so much fun to make and I'm thrilled with how it turned out.

To make it, I cut a thin piece of copper from a copper sheet. Full disclosure: I was actually trying to make an oval using my teacher's high tech cutting machine, but missed and improvised. Still, I actually really like the long, thin shape of this piece.

Once I had the copper cut and filed, I coated the back with white glass powder (the enamel) and heated it in the 1500 degree F kiln. I then put more white on the front side because I like the way the colors look against the white -- they really pop.

After, I used a technique called wet packing to paint the stripes of purple, turquoise and blue. Basically, wet packing is a bit like water coloring you add a little water to the glass powder and then use a paint brush to dab it onto the metal.

During my first attempt, I made the mistake of letting the glass dry out too much. So when I went to fire my piece, I accidentally tilted it a bit ... and all of the powder ended up on the floor. Oops, who would I be without doing something ridiculously klutzy, right? Thankfully, I had enough glass left over to redo the design. This time, it fired up perfectly and I'm so happy with it. It feels really cool and smooth; it is glass, after all.

That chain it's hanging from is handmade from 16 gauge silver wire. I haven't worked too much with this gauge and it was a little tough compared to 18, but I wanted a nice, chunky chain to complete my piece.

I've already started my second enamel piece, which is going to be an oval pendant. I'm sooo looking forward to class on Tuesday!

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs. To purchase my children's jewelry, head to MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment