Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Fused Glass Cabochon Pendants Made With Glass Frit -- And A Glass Tutorial


I've loved making heart pendants with my glass molds and purchased a few other molds in different shapes. I have teardrop and trapezoid molds on order and I also have a circle design. The simple cabochon might seem like a very basic shape, but you can do a lot with a circle! After all, our entire solar system -- and beyond -- is made of circular and spherical objects.

So far, I've made two round pieces: my Sunrise Pendant and my Planet Pendant. I created these color combinations simply by arranging and fusing glass frit in a design. For the Sunrise pendant, I went with typical early-morning colors: red, orange, pink and yellow. I suppose this works as a sunset, as well, but I think of evening colors and being more red, pink and orange. That yellow adds brightness to the pendant and gives it more of a "morning" feeling.

For the Planet Pendant, I simply combined blue, green and white glass so it looks like a continent surrounded by water and ice caps. It's not quite Earth, but similar. I've named it "Naomius" because why not?

I'd love to try making a Jupiter-like pendant with stripes or even a wire wrapped Saturn pendant. My friend Judith suggested that I make a cabochon to represent each planet in our solar system and then put them together in a mosaic or shadow box, but that seems a bit too 7th grade science fair project to me. Jon likes her idea, though, so maybe they're on to something.

In other news, I did something today that I haven't done in YEARS. I wrote an article for HubPages. For a while, I wrote for them almost every day -- especially after I left the magazine -- but it was a lot of work. Eventually jewelry and life took over and I had less time. It's a great way to get one's name out, though, and is another way to advertise my business. So I put together a tutorial on making basic fused glass pendants with a microwave kiln. I go into pretty thorough detail on the types of glass you can use, and how you can best use the microwave for this project. I also have photos of my work. I've included links back to my various sites, which helps me, but at the same time, I hope my tutorial can encourages others to take up glass fusion. It's a win-win! You can see it here at HubPages.

If you're not interested in making your own glass jewelry or art, please check out my page. Naomi's Designs. I'm constantly updating that, as well as this blog, so be sure to stop by often!

No comments:

Post a Comment