Thursday, May 29, 2014

Wire wrapped lava pendant with brass and copper spirals

It's been a while since I've made one of my favorite types of wire wrapped jewelry: the classic wire wrapped lava pendant. This one was made with brass and copper wire, which I twisted into a series of spirals.

The challenge in making this was layering the wires. I usually use only one type of wire; I then loop the end to make the bail (the part where you thread a cord or chain so the pendant will hang) and create the rest of the design using that one piece. This makes it easy for everything to stay in place since the entire wire is attached.

In this case, I layered the brass wire over the copper. The hole was too small to make a double bail so I wrapped the wire around the loop at the top and then made the design. I was a bit worried that the wire would fall off or come loose, but I secured it tightly enough that it stayed in place. I even took it for a little "test drive" when I went to class the other day and my teacher noticed it.

Right now, I'm trying to make another lava stone necklace using blue and turquoise wire, but the color wire has a different texture from the plain metals. Because they are anodized, the color wire is a bit tougher and not as easy to maneuver. I tried to do a spiral design this morning but am not happy with the result. Oh well, time to try again!

Meantime, please check out the rest of my handmade wire wrapped and enamel jewellery at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment