Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Importance Of Networking: A Special Announcement


Once upon a time, I HATED the Internet. I first heard of e-mail while I was in college in the early-mid '90s and the idea of communicating with someone via computer seemed ridiculous to me. It was so impersonal! I refused to use e-mail until I was forced to at my job in 1998. Then I instantly fell in love with it and now use it as my primary means of communication (other than when I see friends in person, which is always the best way to stay in touch, IMO).

These days, all of my work depends on the Internet. My writing and music are online and it's where I, of course, sell my jewelry. I also do much of my networking on the computer and have come to love Facebook for both personal and professional reasons.

In some cases, my personal life affects my professional life. I use FB to advertise my wire wrapped jewelry, so many of my friends have purchased from me. I've also had some friends get me craft fair jobs via FB. One such person is my friend Adele.

Adele and I know each other from high school. We hung around with the same crowd and she was just a really nice girl -- even at an age where many of us could be catty toward one another. She never had a mean thing to say about anyone and she always had a smile ready for her friends.

Fast forward 20 years and she's still the same Adele. She and I reconnected on FB and have met for lunch. She's been very supportive of my jewelry venture. She's always reposting my links and even managed to get me an upcoming craft fair gig. She knows how important networking is and has used her contacts to help me out.

So now I'm returning the favor and am using this blog to promote, well, Adele herself. She and her wonderful husband, Andy, are trying to adopt. They're a warm, wonderful couple and would make great parents. Adele teaches very young kids and is patient and kind; meanwhile, Andy volunteers for the Coast Guard and is helping out those who serve our country. They're very family-oriented, so any child of theirs would be surrounded by a tight-knit clan of relatives and friends who are like family.

I appreciate the fact that so many of you read this blog. Please take a look at ANDY AND ADELE'S ADOPTION PAGE and forward it to anyone you know who could help with their adoption. You just never know what kind of connection you can help make.

No comments:

Post a Comment