Tuesday, January 3, 2017

My new toy: An extra LARGE microwave kiln for making fused dichroic glass!


When I was invited to teach a glass-fusing class at Maple Grove, I was asked if I could bring a second microwave kiln so I could fire twice as many pieces at once. I decided to invest in an extra large kiln, which is four times the size of my other one. It worked out perfectly because I was able to heat six pieces at once -- and all nine students went home with completed pendants.

Of course, I did a few test runs before using this kiln in public and the first thing I learned is that this tool takes, well, four times longer to heat. When I'm using the small kiln, I usually set the microwave for 30 seconds and then slowly fire my pieces in 15-20 second increments. However, I can't do that with this bigger kiln. It takes about eight minutes to even get hot enough so that the glass gets moving into shape.

As someone who's promoting glass-fusing on a public site, it's my duty to remind you that safety comes first. I frequently write about the minor cuts and burns I get while working, and how important it is to wear safety gloves when operating the kiln. Here's a reminder to also wear protective goggles when cutting glass or dealing with kiln work. I didn't the first time I played around with my big guy. I got complacent because I'd become so comfortable operating the little kiln. But when you're melting glass, there will be smoke and fumes -- especially during the middle of the process. I lifted the kiln mid-way to see how the glass was doing, didn't have goggles on and was hit by a puff of smoke. It went right into my eyes and I couldn't see for a second. I quickly flushed them out with water and was fine after that, but lesson learned. Always, ALWAYS wear safety goggles!

It's taken me a while to get used to the firing times needed for this tool. I generally let the kiln heat for eight minutes, then two more and then I can check on the glass in 15-20 second intervals like I do with the smaller one. Now that I'm getting the hang of it, I've been able to create much bigger pieces, like these statement pendants:

The really long one is almost four inches! I haven't quite figured out what to do with it; whether I want to just hang it from a chain or go all out and turn it into a crazy necklace. This kiln was great, though, for making Christmas ornaments this season. I unfortunately don't have photos, but I made two large glass Christmas trees and big glass mosaic hearts for friends. Each was about three inches and just the perfect size for ornaments. I have a bunch of the giant pre-cut hearts left over. They're way too big to wear as pendants. so I'm thinking they could work as year-round suncatchers.

I love making jewelry, but many friends have suggested to me that I make some other types of glass products. With this kiln, I can create ornaments, coasters, maybe even some small plates if I learn how to slump the glass in a mold. There are so many possibilities!

Check out my handmade jewelry at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment