Thursday, June 16, 2016

A Tale Of Two Pendants: Wire wrapped fused glass pendants with crystals


Before I get into the story of these pendants, I first have some great news to share! I'm officially signed on to teach a jewelry-making class!

I'm going to be teaching wire wrapping to the seniors at The Homestead, which is one of the homes where I play. I've never taught adults before -- only kids -- but I'm really excited. I've been wanting to teach a class for a while and am glad I'm being given the chance. Hopefully, I'll be able to teach at a couple of the other homes where I play, as well. I love performing for the seniors, but making jewelry is a much more hands-on experience for them.

I, of course, had to celebrate by making some new jewelry. I had this beautiful pink-tinted clear glass, so I decided to see how it would look against a clear base and a black base. Here is the result:

The green is the one made with the black base and the yellow is the one on the clear. It's amazing how one piece of glass can turn such different colors. Once the pieces fused, I wire wrapped them and added a couple of crystals.

"Golden Girl" seemed like the obvious name for the yellow pendant, but I was stuck on naming the green piece. I polled my Facebook friends and Instagram followers and got some great ideas. One person came up with "Green Goddess," while another suggested "Mermaid" and a third liked "Water Serenade." An Instagram follower then suggested "Emerald Empress." My friend Alexander said I should call it "Envious Girl" because it's green with envy from being photographed next to Golden Girl. Ha ha, funny, Alexander. I'm leaning toward Green Goddess as the winner.

I have to credit my friend Judy for coming up with the name idea. A while back, she told me about her other jewelry-making friend who got a lot of attention by asking her FB friends to help her name her pieces. I decided to try this tactic and it's working! For some reason, people are really getting into the idea of coming up with appropriate names for my fused glass. It's been a lot of fun. I think people mainly like seeing some lighthearted posts online.

I have plenty of dichroic glass to go through, so stay tuned for more pieces -- and more names! Check out the rest of my jewellery at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment