Monday, August 19, 2013

Making Jewelry: This Fall's Classes!


September is almost here, which for New Yorkers means it's time to go back to school! In my case, I signed up for two jewelry making classes at the 92nd Street Y: my usual enameling and a new workshop, where participants make keyhole bracelets.

I'm not really sure what making a keyhole bracelet involves, but it seems like it'll be interesting. Truth be told, I'm missing classes a lot. This summer has been fun, but it's dragged -- and I miss learning new things each week and seeing my friends. I've gotten a lot of work done on my novel, but it's work that I do by myself. I'm also sick of people trying to "help" me find jobs. Many are very well-meaning and are like, "Oh, why don't you teach music to babies? Or to seniors? Or teach a writing class?" when they don't realize that you can't just pop in and begin a profession in these things. I have no desire to get an early childhood or music therapy degree -- or a PhD -- which is what you need for these types of jobs. I LIKE writing novels and I LOVE making and selling jewelry. Sure, neither is conventional in terms of a career; they're not 9-5, but I worked a 9-5 job for years and grew tired of it. I'm happy doing what I'm doing now; why can't people understand that and support me?

Anyway, back to my classes! I'm looking forward to working on more champleve pieces in enameling. My plan to spend time at the Brooklyn studio hasn't worked out, mainly because I've been busy, but I'm hoping to head down there this week. Meanwhile, I think that the keyhole bracelet course will help me improve some basic techniques, such as soldering. Either way, I'm really looking forward to it -- and to fall in the city.

To purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment