Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wire wrapped pink coral earrings

I first saw coral in its natural state when I was in Australia. Up until then, I'd seen it in aquariums, but it was a whole different experience when I went swimming in the Great Barrier Reef. It was amazing! The coral came in so many colors that it looked as if there were a garden beneath the sea.

That said, I was very excited to get my shipment of coral nuggets and had visions of creating "Enchanment Under The Sea" necklaces and whatnot. Unfortunately, the nuggets turned out to be not the most attractive things. They were, well, nuggets ... that happened to be made out of coral.

First, I tried to make a bracelet out of them, but they were so bulky that my piece looked like something that Wilma Flinstone would wear. I then decided to experiment with some wire wrapping. I figued that brass would look good against the pink and you know what? After I did some work, the coral actually looked pretty cool. I twisted the wire into a spiral design because I wanted to make it look a little like a conch shell. I then finished them off with brass wire hooks.

In making jewelry, I've collected a lot of failed experiments. Sometimes, though, it's worth it to try a new technique!

To see or purchase my jewelry, head to Naomi's Designs or Naomi's Studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment