Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Adventures in teaching jewelry making: making handmade beaded earrings and rings!


Yesterday was my second jewelry-making class for seniors. I think it went very well!

Last month, the four ladies who I worked with requested that I show them how to make rings and earrings. So I bought some French hook and clip-on earring backs and figured I'd teach them how to make a few different kinds. When I showed up to class, though, there were now 10 women waiting for me. Gulp... I mean great!

I wasn't expecting to have such a large turnout and I had to hustle. I passed around my giant bag of beads and let the students choose which ones they wanted for their project, while I quickly cut wire to make earrings. I'd learned the last time that most of the seniors lack the hand strength to cut and manipulate wire, so I have to help them with a few steps. Because there were so many people there, I had to literally run around to get to everyone. I actually worked up a sweat!

It was all good, though, because the ladies came away with some beautiful pieces:

A few of the ladies really "get" jewelry making and didn't need my help that often. Honestly, the beads I brought aren't that pretty; I'd ordered a 1000-piece bargain bag of plastic bits. But a couple of women managed to find the prettiest beads and put together some amazing color combinations.

Others needed more help. Since I'm working with seniors, their levels of functionality vary, and some need more assistance. I'm happy to work with them, though. The rec director told me afterward how their last jewelry teacher would get angry and impatient with the students. You HAVE to be patient when dealing with seniors, who might have memory or cognitive issues. I keep telling the ladies that the goal isn't perfection; it's to learn something and to have fun making things by hand. As I explained to one of the women, I'd have nothing to teach if they were already experts.

The hour flew by and I loved listening to the ladies chat while they worked. Part of forming a group like this is to foster friendships and I hope that if they don't enjoy making jewelry, they're at least enjoying the companionship. One woman was funny and kept joking around as we made the rings. She'd hold up her ring and announce, "Look, I'm engaged! Let's get married!" I told her that my husband would have something to say about that. She answered, "Well, if a guy really gives you a ring like this, then he's cheap." This lady is a riot! When I said I've taught children, but this was my class for adults, she said, "We're like children." I disagreed, noting that if they were kids, they'd be throwing the beads or sticking the beads up their noses. (Side note: I actually did stick a bead up my nose as a kid and had to be taken to the hospital).

Much as the women love beading, I'd like to make different jewelry projects that are a little out of the box. For next time, I'm planning to have them make scratch-art pendants. I now know to come prepared with ready-made materials, so I'll work on some pendant bases beforehand. Basically, I'll cover a sheet of oak tag with colored crayons and then add a layer of black. I'll then cut the oak tag into small shapes -- hearts, squares, etc. -- and punch a hole in the top of each one. In class, the ladies can use a bit of wire to scratch out a design and we'll then turn their creations into pendants. This is something I did as a kid, but it's so much fun! The rec director loves the idea, but agrees that most of the women won't have the strength to scribble down the thick layer of black crayon.

I think as time goes on, I'll even have them do some art projects other than jewelry. They haven't had an art instructor at the home for a while and many miss making things. It's a fun way to pass the time and it keeps them mentally and physically engaged. I've always loved making crafts, so I'll do some research and see what types of easy projects we can make. Right now, we're meeting every month, but the rec director is thinking of having me come every two weeks.

I really hope my students are getting something out of my classes. I'm certainly learning a lot from them!

You can see my work at Naomi's Designs, MayaGirl Creations and Glass By Naomi.

No comments:

Post a Comment