Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wire Wrapped Jewelry Designs: Rhapsody In Blue


Now that I've sold my work at a couple dozen craft fairs I have a pretty good idea of what types of jewelry will sell at what venues. However, I'm sometimes still surprised at the outcome.

In order to prepare for this past weekend's art fair, I made a lot of high end pieces: gold earrings, intricate bib necklaces... the types of jewelry that would attract a person who was looking for something "artistic." But many people ended up admiring the two fun wire wrapped pieces that I made with electric blue wire:

To be honest, not much thought was put into the necklace or this pair of earrings. I had some leftover blue wire and decided to experiment with it. But both received many compliments! No one actually purchased either piece -- I guess actually wearing bright blue jewelry may have been too much for my customers -- but almost everyone noticed them when they stopped by my stand. They'd pick up the necklace or earrings and be like, "Oh, look at these, they're so beautiful!" and then buy something else that was a little more subdued (not that I'm complaining; a sale is a sale!).

I look to my customers to see what people like in jewelry and their reactions are making me think that I should use colored wire in more of my adult pieces. I use a lot of colors in my children's jewelry line, but for the adults, I tend to stick to the tried-and-true gold, silver and copper wire. The blue is very striking against the black lava; I'm now wondering how a lava stone would look if it were wire wrapped in pink or green. That could be fun, right?

What I ultimately want is for my jewelry to make the wearer feel good about herself -- and if a touch of color brightens her day, then more color it is!

To purchase my jewellery, head to Naomi's Designs or MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment