Sunday, June 23, 2013

Thanks for the memories


I make my jewelry because I enjoy the process of designing and love to create beautiful pieces. However, sometimes a piece will "speak" to a person for whatever reason beyond it simply being attractive. This happened recently with my silver wire wrapped amethyst earrings.

Amethyst is my favorite stone because it's my birthstone and these are one of the first earrings I made when I got into jewelry. I purchased large, natural-looking chunks of amethyst and then wire wrapped them. The photo is terrible, but you get the idea.

To be honest, these earrings haven't gotten that many views. They hadn't really gotten a lot of notice at craft fairs, either, as people tended to gravitate toward my colorful geometric jewelry. I kind of forgot I even had them. That said, I was kind of surprised when they were purchased last week.

I wasn't thrilled with my initial wire wrap design so I removed the wire and redid the earrings from scratch. I've become much more skilled at wire wrapping so I was able to create much better-looking earrings -- and I wanted this woman to get her money's worth. I then sent them out, hoping, as always, that she'd like the final product.

A few days later, I heard from her. She not only liked the earrings, but explained that she'd purchased them because they matched an amethyst necklace that her late husband had given her. She'd been looking for a way to complete the set and my earrings worked. She sent me a photo of the pieces and she was right; my earrings were a perfect match for her husband's gift.

I'm always pleased when my customers like their purchases and, of course, enjoy getting compliments on my work, but her note moved me to tears. I feel as if she were meant to have these earrings and this was the reason why it took so long for me to sell them. I'm honored that she'll be wearing my jewelry along with this precious, sentimental reminder of her loved one.

I don't have any delusions that my jewelry will change the world. My earrings and bracelets won't bring world peace or fix the environment, or cure cancer -- but I'm glad that I can bring at least a little bit of happiness to my customers and can help them create some new memories.

Check out my jewelry at Naomi's Designs and MayaGirl Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment